Drama on the Guadalupe River

Drama on the Guadalupe River

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The First Blog


Hello and welcome!

First day..first BLOG....not much here but...over time there will be!

I live in the Western regions of Texas. This land is rough, arid and extremely remote, rich in history and wildlife. To many, this region is too extreme for normal day to day living and travel off the beaten path can be a life changing experience. It is here I roam with one eye to the ground and the other looking for scenes to capture the spirit of this land. This photo is an example of life here, a close encounter with a Western Diamondback rattlesnake. I caught him crossing a sendero (ranch road) late one afternoon and as I closed the distance, he recognized my presence in a way only rattlesnakes can. This particular rattlesnake is of average size, roughly 4ft in length and his strike zone can reach out roughly 3.5 ft perpendicular to the ground. Needless to say, I kept the lens at length and simply captured our moment as safely as possible before parting ways. The light and background with this encounter was about as good as it gets out here. I was blessed to have our close encounter made on neutral terms which included a cliche rock sendero backdrop. A wild Western Diamondback in classic pre-strike form.

Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment